Skip to Content
Serving Iowa Families Statewide

International Adoption – Advance Processing


What is Advance Processing?

The United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recommends that all prospective parents file an application for “Advance Processing” before they identify a foreign child to adopt. Advance Processing is a procedure whereby the USCIS pre-approves the prospective parents’ application to adopt a child. Advance Processing is the simplest and fastest way to conduct an international adoption.

The full name of an application for Advance Processing is “Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition.”

Who can file an application for Advance Processing?

A married U.S. citizen and his spouse or an unmarried U.S. citizen who is at least 25 years old may file an application for Advance Processing. In addition, an unmarried U.S. citizen who is 24 years old may file an application if the person will be at least 25 when an Orphan Petition is filed for a particular child and the child is adopted.

What documentation must be submitted along with the application for Advance Processing?

The following must be submitted with the application:

* Fingerprints for each prospective parent;

* Proof of the prospective parents’ U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status in the U.S.;

* Proof of the marriage of the prospective parents, if they are married;

* Proof of the legal termination of any prior marriages;

* Proof of compliance with any state pre-adoption requirements;

* Proof of an approved home study;

* A filing fee.